Sunday, February 9, 2014

Russian Kids and Having an Adventure

I survived my first full week in Russia! To be honest it feels like I have been gone for a year, that is good though because I don't want it to start flying by even though I can't stop that. I started teaching school on Monday! I teach a class Monday morning (7 years old), a kindergarten class Monday and Wednesday nights, and a different kindergarten class Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. The first week was definitely a challenge getting used to all the different schedules at the different schools and getting adjusted to the kids but they are all adorable! I love each and every one of their unique personalities. I can only imagine how much my love for them is going to grow, I like to call them my Russian babies. I am still working on names but of course some of the outgoing ones really stuck out. I love being called teacher Bre. I am loving it here.
This little girl is Anusha, she has the prettiest hair and cutest personality. 

This is Alisa, she loves me and has a big personality. She is really smart.
   One of my greatest memories of this week would definitely have to be Friday night and Saturday. On Friday we decided to go exploring after classes and we got lost in the city. Even though it was freezing cold and we walked about 5 miles I had a lot of fun. St. Petersburg reminds me of a European city. The architecture is so stunning and the landscape is gorgeous as well. There are bridges everywhere and the city runs along rivers. I love it here and I cannot wait for the weather to get better. 

   On Saturday we went to the Hermitage, which is also known as the Winter Palace. It was seriously the most beautiful building I have ever been in. It is right on the river and it is huge. There is gold, molding, and marble everywhere. It has been turned into a museum so there were also statues and paintings everywhere. It is one of the biggest Museums in Europe apparently. I also got to see a Michelangelo sculpture, some Leonardo Da Vinci paintings and paintings by Rembrandt (a dutch artist I love). It was an amazing museum that would literally take 8 years to look at everything in it for 30 seconds, but we plan on going back. A funny story about being there was that some young (late teens) Russian military trainees were there and they kept following us around because they thought we were exotic because we could speak English. Another Russian guy asked to take a picture with us, which was hilarious because we don't think we are that special. Overall, the Hermitage is my favorite place I have been so far! 
    A week full of new people, new places and new adventures but one of the best weeks of my life. I can't wait for the coming weeks in Russia. I hope you all enjoy the pictures, I will try to post some more. Have a fantastic week, I know I will! :) 


1 comment: