Sunday, February 16, 2014

Learning Russian, Sickness, and Prison

     The second full week in St. Pete's flew by super fast. I started to realize that I have been gone for almost 3 weeks! It seems like I have been here for a year already, but I am happy I still have a long time. This week was full of another adventure....so let's reminisce. 
      On Tuesday mornings all 8 of us girls take the Metro to the center of the city for our Russian class. I was thrilled when we were told that we get to learn Russian for the 4 months while we are here, but it is a very difficult language. The alphabet has a lot of symbols instead of letters, but I think I have finally got the symbols down and I find myself trying to figure out what things say while walking around. Of course I don't know what the words mean once I decipher them, but at least reading is a step towards understanding the Russian language. One of the most embarrassing things about Russian class though was when our teacher Ivan asked me a question and I answered Si (in Spanish) instead of Da (which is yes in Russian). I don't know why but my first instinct is to speak Spanish to the Russians. I guess I just revert back to the foreign language I know really well. Anyways, learning Russian is definitely not easy but I will at least know some when I get back to America!
      After Tuesday, the rest of the week was not very fun until Saturday. Unfortunately, while I was teaching my kids on Wednesday night I got really sick. My limbs started going numb, I had uncontrollable chills, my lips turned blue, and I almost passed out. Luckily I made it back from the school (thanks Lucy) to slip into a sleep coma. That didn't last long though because I was woken up and found out that I had a fever of 104 and high blood pressure! I haven't felt that miserable in a while. So, I had my first experience of going to the doctors in Russia. Fortunately we found an American clinic so everyone spoke English, I got some blood tests done and an examination and I am fine! Just some bad virus, but I am thankful it wasn't anything bad. DON'T WORRY people, I get to stay in Russia and you can keep reading my blog :) Oh, by the way it was the classiest doctors I have ever been to, they had gold elevator doors with molding. Russians must think we have classy doctor's offices back home. 
The Tombs
        FINALLY, on Saturday I was feeling great enough to go on our Cultural excursion for the week. Sveta, our spunky, funny, loving Cultural expert took us to the Peter and Paul Fortress. I love Saturdays because of the exploring and because we get to see Sveta of course! Anyways, the fortress has a Cathedral in it and a Prison. The Cathedral was very beautiful inside just like all of the Cathedrals I have been in so far in St. Pete's. There are diamond chandeliers all over, gold moldings, painted ceilings, and colored columns. This particular Cathedral was the home of Russian Royalty who have been buried underneath. The coffins are on top, which were made out of beautiful marble, and the bodies are below the ground. We got to see where Anastasia's memorial was, along with her family. The Cathedral was also really really tall. The tower was the tallest in St. Pete's until recently. 
The Outside of the Cathedral


A View of the inside of the Cathedral
The Tower
           Along with the Cathedral, the Fortress was blocked in, hence the word fortress. We walked out right along the river and you could see a whole skyline of St. Pete's. It was really pretty. There was also a Political Prison located inside of the fortress. It was kind of creepy being in cells that people were actually locked in once upon a time. 
Walkway to the Cathedral
        














         Overall, the Peter and Paul Fortress was a successful Cultural experience. It was very beautiful, historical, and fun. I loved the views especially with the arched entry ways and cobblestone walkways. On our way back we stopped at Burger King, definitely more expensive than it is in the United States but I thought it was worth it because it was A LOT better than BK in America. 

Inside of a prison cell
            Another week has come and gone in Mother Russia and I have really really started loving it here. I can't call it home just yet, but surprisingly I love the Russian people, the food, and the atmosphere. I am even starting to like the "smell". I am looking forward to another week with my kids and adventures. I hope everyone has a good week and try to serve someone that needs some help this week. Peace!
   

1 comment: